Delhi: Nigerian sentenced for drug peddling
New Delhi: A Nigerian, caught with 5kg of
heroin and convicted for drug peddling, has been sentenced by
a Delhi court to a jail term already served by him as an
undertrial prisoner for five years and three months.
"Keeping in view the totality of facts and circumstances
of the case, I sentence the convict to the period of
imprisonment already undergone by him and also to pay a fine
of Rs 50,000," Special Judge M K Nagpal said while sentencing
The Nigerian was caught with the contraband near his
rented accommodation at Bhai Parmanand Colony in North West
Delhi in March 2006.
The court, however, did not order the Nigerian`s release
and asked the jail authorities to detain him at the Foreigner
Regional Registration Offices (FRRO) detention centre till
expiry of the period of appeal against the judgement.
Osisioma was arrested by a team of Directorate of Revenue
Intelligence (DRI) sleuths and booked under the Narcotic Drugs
and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
During the search of his rented flat, one forged Nigerian
passport in the name of one Okonkwo Uche Danial was recovered
from him, for which a separate case was registered against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion