Delhi: Nigerian sentenced for drug peddling
New Delhi: A Nigerian, caught with 5kg of
heroin and convicted for drug peddling, has been sentenced by
a Delhi court to a jail term already served by him as an
undertrial prisoner for five years and three months.
"Keeping in view the totality of facts and circumstances
of the case, I sentence the convict to the period of
imprisonment already undergone by him and also to pay a fine
of Rs 50,000," Special Judge M K Nagpal said while sentencing
The Nigerian was caught with the contraband near his
rented accommodation at Bhai Parmanand Colony in North West
Delhi in March 2006.
The court, however, did not order the Nigerian`s release
and asked the jail authorities to detain him at the Foreigner
Regional Registration Offices (FRRO) detention centre till
expiry of the period of appeal against the judgement.
Osisioma was arrested by a team of Directorate of Revenue
Intelligence (DRI) sleuths and booked under the Narcotic Drugs
and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
During the search of his rented flat, one forged Nigerian
passport in the name of one Okonkwo Uche Danial was recovered
from him, for which a separate case was registered against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family