Delhi protests: Shinde announces steps to make city safer
New Delhi: Amid massive outrage over the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde announced a series of steps to prevent such crimes.
“A meeting has been scheduled with the state Director Generals of Police (DGPs) and state secretaries on January 4. In the meeting, details of the rape incidents that have taken place across the country will be taken and what action is needed to curb them will be discussed,” said Shinde.
As part of preventive measures, it will be mandatory for all buses and commercial vehicles to keep light on during night. The buses and autos driven by unverified drivers will be impounded and the vehicles need to have driver’s photo and details along with the helpline numbers.
Reacting to the clashes that took place between protesters and police at India Gate, Shinde said that people are welcome to protest peacefully. “However, if people take law and order in their hand, then strict action will be taken against them,” he said while talking to a news channel.
Shinde asked people to have faith in the government that the guilty will be punished. “Even though there is no fixed timeframe right now, people will have to keep faith in the government that appropriate action will be taken. Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh and the government are worried about it,” said Shinde.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened