Delhi protests: Shinde announces steps to make city safer
New Delhi: Amid massive outrage over the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde announced a series of steps to prevent such crimes.
“A meeting has been scheduled with the state Director Generals of Police (DGPs) and state secretaries on January 4. In the meeting, details of the rape incidents that have taken place across the country will be taken and what action is needed to curb them will be discussed,” said Shinde.
As part of preventive measures, it will be mandatory for all buses and commercial vehicles to keep light on during night. The buses and autos driven by unverified drivers will be impounded and the vehicles need to have driver’s photo and details along with the helpline numbers.
Reacting to the clashes that took place between protesters and police at India Gate, Shinde said that people are welcome to protest peacefully. “However, if people take law and order in their hand, then strict action will be taken against them,” he said while talking to a news channel.
Shinde asked people to have faith in the government that the guilty will be punished. “Even though there is no fixed timeframe right now, people will have to keep faith in the government that appropriate action will be taken. Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh and the government are worried about it,” said Shinde.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video