Delhi students walk for organ donation
New Delhi: Around 1,000 students of Shivaji College in Delhi organised a walkathon on Wednesday to create awareness on organ donation.
"We are the first college under Delhi University to organise an awareness campaign on organ donation. In India, 20 people die every day because of the lack of organs for transplantation, so people need to know about it," Shivaji College principal Shashi Nijhawan told a news agency.
With placards reading "Donate organs, live forever", the students walked from their college to the Rajouri Garden metro station in west Delhi.
"On Thursday, anyone interested can come to the college and get a donor card, which marks his pledge to save a life," Nijhawan said.
The students were also joined by cricketer Murli Karthik and actress-politician Jaya Prada.
"In other countries, people donate organs but in India, there is very little awareness. So the walk is to let people know they can save lives by donating an organ," said Gunjan Katiyal, a bio-chemistry student of the college.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India