EC keeping a watch on use of gold during poll campaign in Delhi
New Delhi: After taking steps to stop flow of black money in the run up to the assembly election, the Election Commission on Friday decided to monitor transactions involving gold in the national capital.
The Chief Electoral officer has already directed the Income Tax Department officials to keep a close watch on places like airport and other public places where transaction of money and gold can take place, official sources said.
Carrying more than one kilogram of gold can lead to scrutiny by the Election Commission`s flying squads.
Chief Electoral Officer Vijay Dev will hold a meeting in this regard on Monday.
Laying out the modalities of implementation of the model code of conduct, officials said if anyone is apprehended carrying gold more than a Kg and fails to give satisfactory explanation, it would be reported to the Election Commission.
In suspicious cases, gold can even be seized from the person.
The step was an effort towards curbing the free flow of black money during the elections, said Ankur Garg, the chief nodal officer for Delhi elections.
Garg further said the Commission will also keep a vigil on the bookings of private helicopters, aircraft and has instructed CISF and Air traffic Control to maintain a record of such bookings and inform the Election Commission of any suspicious activities.
Recently, the Commission had instructed its flying squad to keep a watch on people carrying more than Rs 50,000 in order to prevent malpractises in upcoming elections.
The Commission has also directed banks to scan all transactions over Rs one lakh and keep an eye on suspicious money withdrawals and deposits.
Vijay Dev held a meeting with representatives of various lead banks, officials from Financial Intelligence Unit of Finance Ministry and Income Tax department yesterday to discuss ways to check use of black money during campaigning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city