EDMC refuses to implement LG`s order on parking fee hike
New Delhi: East Delhi Municipal Corporation on Thursday refused to implement recommendation of Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna to effect a hefty hike in parking fee to curb the increasing number of private vehicles.
"We reject any rise in parking fee. We will not implement it," EDMC Standing Committee Chairman Mehak Singh said.
Khanna had on March 2 approved the long-pending proposal to hike the rates sharply following which Delhi government`s Transport Department asked all the civic bodies to implement the decision.
According to the government order, a motorist will have to pay Rs 10 for first 30 minutes while Rs 20 will be charged per vehicle for the first hour. The rate has been fixed at Rs 50 for three hours.
During peak hours, the charges would be additional 50 per cent of the above charges.
EDMC became the first municipal body in the city to launch a helpline service for the citizens where they can call to complain about any problem being faced in their locality. The calls on number 155303 will be routed to a central call center where they will be registered and forwarded to the officials concerned.
"Through this service, not only will public complaints be registered but citizens will also be able to know about the services rendered by the different departments or for their particular work. Their complaints would be forwarded to the concerned department or officer for necessary action," said Mayor Annapurna Mishra.
While the service will be available 24 hours in the near future, for now the timings will be from 6 am to 10 pm.
In another decision announced today, all shops bigger than 250 sq ft in EDMC will have to install CCTV cameras in their premises from the new financial year.
"This was the directive received from the Home Secretary after a task force for security of women was set up after the December 16 gang-rape incident in Delhi. The shops will have to install the cameras and keep its recording of 30 days to be used in case any need arises, especially in cases related to women`s safety," said Commissioner S S Yadav.
To ensure compliance, the provision will be included in the license conditions for the shops. "Since all licenses come up for renewal in March-end, they will have to comply with the order to get their permit renewed," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!