Family of Nido Taniam meets Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: Parents and close family members of Arunachal Pradesh youth Nido Tania, who died after alleged assault by a group of people here, on Wednesday met UPA chief Sonia Gandhi and urged her to ensure a time-bound CBI probe and punishment to the guilty.
"We have requested the UPA chairperson to ensure that the CBI investigation should be completed in a time-bound manner and those responsible for the killing of Tania should be punished," the 19-year-old`s mother Nido Marina told reporters after meeting Gandhi.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had yesterday ordered a CBI probe into the death of the youth after allegedly being thrashed by a group of people in Lajpat nagar in south Delhi.
"We have also requested Soniaji to do the needful to ensure security of people from the Northeast living in different parts of the country," Marina said.
19-year-old Nido, a BA first year student in a private university, had an altercation with some shopkeepers on January 29 after they made fun of his hairstyle, following which they allegedly beat him up. He died the next day.
Delhi Police yesterday told a court here that murder charges have been slapped against four persons in connection with the youth`s death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state