FIR against Maneka- run hospital: Court tells cops
New Delhi: A Delhi court has directed the police to register an FIR against BJP MP Maneka Gandhi-run animal care and veterinary hospital where 36 animals died due to their alleged failure in performing the duties.
The court also pulled up the investigating officer (IO) for taking up the matter "casually" and directed him to probe the case "expeditiously" against Sanjay Gandhi Animal Care Centre (SGACC).
"The SGACC is a welfare organisation to take care of the animals but from the above incident, it appears that the SGACC did not perform its duties and resultantly 36 animals died.
"Accordingly, SHO is directed to register an FIR in the present case under the appropriate section of law and direct the IO to expeditiously investigate this case. Copy of the order be sent to the SHO for compliance," Metropolitan Magistrate Naresh Kumar Laka said.
The court also issued show cause notice for June 27 to the IO of the case asking as to why the matter should not be reported to the DCP for lapses on his part.
According to complainant Saheed, 61 of his calves were left in the care of SGACC on April 30 this year when he was caught by the police for overloading and transporting them.
Later, he pleaded guilty in a Faridabad court ordering the release of the animals from the hospital, he said.
The complaint, filed through advocate Sanobar Ali Qureshi, said the veterinary hospital of the animal activist Maneka Gandhi refused to release the animals on the pretext that 36 of them had already expired and the remaining were in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre