Five Jamia students held in gangrape case sent to Tihar
New Delhi: Five Jamia Millia Islamia students, arrested for allegedly confining and gangraping a minor girl for over two months at their residence here, were on Thursday sent to 14-day judicial custody by a Delhi court.
Metropolitan Magistrate Nipun Awasthi sent accused Pulkit Chaudhary, Amandeep, Sharad Shekhar Tomar, Roopansu and Vikas Punia to Tihar till December 20 after the police said they were no more required for custodial interrogation.
"All accused are remanded to judicial custody till December 20," the court said.
The police had arrested the five boys, including three law students, after a complaint was lodged at the Defence Colony police station in South Delhi here on September 15 by the mother of the 16-year-old victim.
The girl`s mother had told the police that her daughter, who was studying in class XI, had not returned home after attending her school on September 15.
Initially, a case of kidnapping was registered by the police but after the girl was recovered earlier this month, she deposed that on September 15 she had accompanied one of her friends Amit Gautam to his flat here, where she was made captive and gangraped.
The victim had told the police that she had gone to Amit`s flat in South Delhi to attend a party.
She had also said that she came to know Amit through Facebook and they eventually became friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'