Fraudsters dupe customers of 4 insurance companies
New Delhi: After ICICI Prudential, fraudsters have now targeted four insurance companies, including SBI Life Insurance, by stealing their customer database and duping some policy holders to either surrender or discontinue their policies.
Delhi Police`s Economic Offences Wing has launched a probe into the four cases having same modus operandi after complaints were received from SBI Life Insurance, Reliance Life Insurance, HDFC Standard Life Insurance and Ageon- Religare Life Insurance Ltd.
The cases were registered against the fraudsters under sections of the IPC and Information Technology Act last week.
Police are investigating whether the three persons arrested in connection with the attempted cheating of over 700 customers of ICICI Prudential had any connection with the latest fraud cases.
"It appears that due to malicious practice of some unscrupulous people, the companies have received complaints with regard to calls made allegedly on behalf of the company as well as insurance regulator IRDA giving false promises of bonus, scholarship etc to genuine policy holders by tele- calling and inducing them to buy new policies of different agencies," a police official said.
He said it appeared that the fraudsters have managed to steal the customer data base from all the four companies and some of the victims were senior citizens.
While ICICI Prudential had complained to police on March 3, the other companies approached police in the period between March-end and April first week.
The police official said the four fresh cases were registered between May 4 and 8.
"We are investigating whether the arrested persons in the ICICI Prudential case has any link in this case. The same modus operandi has been followed in the four other cases also," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHAMEFUL! Hindu journalist in Pakistan forced to drink from separate glass in office as Muslims raise objections
- Be ready to tackle floods, Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik's message to administration
- Watch: AR Murugadoss introduces action avatar of Sonakshi Sinha in 'Akira'
- Style queen Kangana Ranaut stuns in Grazia India's 100th issue cover! - Pics inside
- ICE vs FRA Preview: Dark Horses Iceland face favorites France in quarter-finals