Gang-rape: NCW welcomes Jayalalithaa`s decision
New Delhi: National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s views that laws dealing with crime against women should be amended, saying they would help contain such violations.
"It is a very good decision. She has asked for harsher punishment for the accused and has also said that steps will be taken to amend the Goondas Act.
"She has also asked for setting up of more fast-track courts to deal with such crimes. If all these measures are followed there will certainly be a decrease in the crime rate," NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma told PTI.
Pitching in for harsher punishment for rape, Jayalalithaa earlier in the day said her government would request the Centre to make necessary changes in the law to provide death penalty and chemical castration to those involved in such crimes.
Expressing grief over the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, Jayalalithaa announced a 13-point action plan to ensure women`s safety and prevent incidents of sexual harassment.
When asked what steps NCW was taking in this regard, Sharma said that they had already sent their recommendations to the government.
"We have sent our recommendations three months before," Sharma said, adding that it takes time to make changes in the law.
"Law is not something which can be changed in one or two days. It needs to be discussed in Parliament," Sharma said.
The NCW chief, however, said it was more important to implement the laws than enacting them.
"You can not just get away with framing of laws, it is more important to implement those laws.
"There are demands for chemical castration. People have also been asking for capital punishment. But that is for the Parliament to decide. My only concern is that a serious law should be enacted which would act as a deterrent so that such crimes are not repeated," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway