Gang-rape victim took tuitions to pay for her education
New Delhi: The Delhi "braveheart" who died on Saturday came from a humble family originally from Uttar Pradesh and took tuitions to pay for her school and college fees.
Born into a family from Uttar Pradesh, the young woman, family friends said, was hard working and desired to forge ahead in life.
The sources close to the family said they moved to the national capital a quarter century ago. It settled in a middle-class neighbourhood in southwest Delhi where she was born 23 years ago.
The girl`s father, seeing her brilliance in academics, took loans to finance her higher studies.
After her education, she went to Dehradun to train as a physiotherapist. She returned to Delhi and started as an intern in a private hospital in north Delhi.
As she was the eldest in the family, her family was convinced that her success in academics would inspire her two younger brothers too.
"Like any family they dreamt of their daughter getting a better job and a better salary," a source said.
The dreams were shattered when she became victim to a gang-rape Dec 16, the beginning of a 13-day agonising struggle for life that ended in her death in Singapore Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest