Gang-rape victim took tuitions to pay for her education
New Delhi: The Delhi "braveheart" who died on Saturday came from a humble family originally from Uttar Pradesh and took tuitions to pay for her school and college fees.
Born into a family from Uttar Pradesh, the young woman, family friends said, was hard working and desired to forge ahead in life.
The sources close to the family said they moved to the national capital a quarter century ago. It settled in a middle-class neighbourhood in southwest Delhi where she was born 23 years ago.
The girl`s father, seeing her brilliance in academics, took loans to finance her higher studies.
After her education, she went to Dehradun to train as a physiotherapist. She returned to Delhi and started as an intern in a private hospital in north Delhi.
As she was the eldest in the family, her family was convinced that her success in academics would inspire her two younger brothers too.
"Like any family they dreamt of their daughter getting a better job and a better salary," a source said.
The dreams were shattered when she became victim to a gang-rape Dec 16, the beginning of a 13-day agonising struggle for life that ended in her death in Singapore Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured