Gang-rape victim took tuitions to pay for her education
New Delhi: The Delhi "braveheart" who died on Saturday came from a humble family originally from Uttar Pradesh and took tuitions to pay for her school and college fees.
Born into a family from Uttar Pradesh, the young woman, family friends said, was hard working and desired to forge ahead in life.
The sources close to the family said they moved to the national capital a quarter century ago. It settled in a middle-class neighbourhood in southwest Delhi where she was born 23 years ago.
The girl`s father, seeing her brilliance in academics, took loans to finance her higher studies.
After her education, she went to Dehradun to train as a physiotherapist. She returned to Delhi and started as an intern in a private hospital in north Delhi.
As she was the eldest in the family, her family was convinced that her success in academics would inspire her two younger brothers too.
"Like any family they dreamt of their daughter getting a better job and a better salary," a source said.
The dreams were shattered when she became victim to a gang-rape Dec 16, the beginning of a 13-day agonising struggle for life that ended in her death in Singapore Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued