Geetika case: Kanda evades reply to key questions
New Delhi: The interrogators are finding it hard to crack the Geetika Sharma suicide case as former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda, the key accused in the case, continued to mislead them by evading reply to the key questions.
Kanda was questioned by police for the second consecutive day in the presence of his lawyers.
“We are in need of some crucial evidence to prove him guilty of abetting Geetika`s suicide," an investigating officer in condition of anonymity said.
Kanda has refused to admit anything so far, reports say.
Not only was Kanda trying to mislead police, but also he had remained stubbornly quiet on where he was hiding for ten days ignoring summons by police.
Police also failed to get a reply from him about the phone numbers he used for communicating with Geetika.
The investigators were also trying to ascertain the nature of some official documents which Geetika was supposed to sign. The documents could reveal the role that Kanda allegedly played in pushing Geetika to suicide.
Kanda so far only maintains that Geetika was his employee. But if Geetika was simply his employee, the police can`t figure out why more than 400 SMSes were exchanged between them.
Investigators today took Kanda to his MDLR airlines office and house in Gurgaon for searches and seized some computer hard disks.
Kanda is reportedly believed to have hidden some electronic data from the office, available in three hard disks, which according to the police, may hold vital clues concerning the case.
Kanda was remanded to 7-day police custody, yesterday, after he was produced before a Delhi court.
Having evaded the police for 10 days, Kanda had surrendered at Ashok Vihar Police Station.
The post mortem report of Geetika said she died of hanging and the ligature mark is ante-mortem in nature. The report also suggested that she had physical relationship.
"Sealed samples of vaginal and anal swabs along with slides were preserved for semen and DNA profiling and handed over to the police," the report said.
Kanda`s employee, Aruna Chaddha, a senior functionary with now defunct MDLR airlines, has already been arrested and is in judicial custody in connection with the suicide of 23-year-old air hostess Geetika Sharma, who allegedly took her life on August 5 at her Ashok Vihar residence.
In her suicide note, Geetika had alleged that Kanda and Chaddha were harassing her to rejoin the former minister`s firm after she left the job.
Both Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegations.
With Agencies inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert