Good news for auto commuters
New Delhi: To prevent autorickshaw drivers from refusing to take passengers to certain areas at night, Delhi government on Wednesday decided to introduce 11 different coloured strips for the three-wheelers based on the zones in which they operate.
The decision was taken at a meeting Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami had with various concerned departments and agencies including Delhi Police and Delhi Integrated Multi Modal Transit System (DIMMTS).
Goswami said the meeting decided to put 11 different coloured strips on autos for separate zones. He said once the colour coding comes into effect, autos of a particular zone will not be able to turn away passengers wishing to travel to the area in the night.
"Earlier, we had decided to introduce six differnt coloured strips but today it has been decided we will divide the city in 11 zones, officials said.
"Introduction of coloured strips will solve the major problem of refusal by auto drivers at night as they will not be able to refuse to take passengers to the area or zone they belong to," said Goswami.
He said government was will come down hard against auto drivers who harass passengers and Delhi Traffic Police and DIMTS have been requested Traffic Police and DIMTS to evolve a mechanism to ensure safety of passengers and address complaints of overcharging and misbehaviour by auto-rickshaw drivers.
Goswami said a committee will be constituted soon to suggest measures to regulate the Gramin Sewa services.
He said Delhi Transport Corporation has been strictly told to comply with speed restrictions for its buses so that accidents do not take place.
"All the new drivers will have to undergo intensive training programme on road safety and safe driving. They will also be given counselling on lane driving and driving with prescribed speed limit," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested