Good news for auto commuters
New Delhi: To prevent autorickshaw drivers from refusing to take passengers to certain areas at night, Delhi government on Wednesday decided to introduce 11 different coloured strips for the three-wheelers based on the zones in which they operate.
The decision was taken at a meeting Transport Minister Ramakant Goswami had with various concerned departments and agencies including Delhi Police and Delhi Integrated Multi Modal Transit System (DIMMTS).
Goswami said the meeting decided to put 11 different coloured strips on autos for separate zones. He said once the colour coding comes into effect, autos of a particular zone will not be able to turn away passengers wishing to travel to the area in the night.
"Earlier, we had decided to introduce six differnt coloured strips but today it has been decided we will divide the city in 11 zones, officials said.
"Introduction of coloured strips will solve the major problem of refusal by auto drivers at night as they will not be able to refuse to take passengers to the area or zone they belong to," said Goswami.
He said government was will come down hard against auto drivers who harass passengers and Delhi Traffic Police and DIMTS have been requested Traffic Police and DIMTS to evolve a mechanism to ensure safety of passengers and address complaints of overcharging and misbehaviour by auto-rickshaw drivers.
Goswami said a committee will be constituted soon to suggest measures to regulate the Gramin Sewa services.
He said Delhi Transport Corporation has been strictly told to comply with speed restrictions for its buses so that accidents do not take place.
"All the new drivers will have to undergo intensive training programme on road safety and safe driving. They will also be given counselling on lane driving and driving with prescribed speed limit," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA