Gurgaon toll booth staff beaten, Rs 1.85 lakh stolen
Zee Media Bureau
Gurgaon: A group of men armed with iron rods and other sharp objects assaulted the staff of a toll plaza in Gurgaon and looted Rs 1.85 lakh on Monday night.
The whole incident was caught on a CCTV camera, installed on the Gurgaon-Pataudi Road.
Six men came in a black Scorpio with a red beacon light at around 8:55 PM on October 14, beat up the toll plaza staff, grabbed the cash kept in a cupboard in toll attendant Ravi`s cabin and fled.
Though the incident took place on Monday night, it came to light today when the staff released a CCTV footage of the incident to the press.
According to Laxmikant Sharma, in-charge of the toll plaza located in Waizirpur village on Gurgaon-Pataudi road, when a guard tried to intervene, he was badly beaten up by the assailants, who were carrying iron rods and other such sharp objects.
Police was informed but they took 30 minutes to arrive at the scene, claimed Sharma.
Station House Officer of Sector 10 Police Station Hans Raj said police lodged an FIR on Tuesday after initial investigation against unknown youth.
On the basis of the CCTV recording, police have traced the owner of the SUV and identified some of the youth who committed the crime, the SHO said.
No arrests have been made in the case though raids are being carried out.
Asked if a quarrel over collection of toll led to the attack, Sharma said, "It is a commercial toll plaza and we do not stop private vehicles for toll collection".
The injured guard was initially admitted to a private hospital in Gurgaon and thereafter referred to Delhi. He is out of danger, he said.
This is not the first attack on toll plaza staff in Gurgaon. In September 2011, a young toll plaza attendant was shot dead by passengers in a car when he asked for the toll fee of Rs 27 from them.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani