Handicapped man jailed for 10 yrs for possessing 5 kgs of heroin
New Delhi: A 36-year-old handicapped man has been sentenced to a 10-year jail term for possessing five kgs of heroin by a Delhi court which took a lenient view as he has "huge family responsibility".
Special NDPS Judge M K Nagpal awarded minimum jail term of 10 years to Narinder Pal as prescribed in the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on him for carrying the narcotic drug.
"Keeping in view totality of the facts and circumstances brought on record, specifically the facts that the convict is a handicapped person and is aged just around 36 years and is having a huge family responsibility, the court is taking a lenient view against him in awarding the sentence and he is being sentenced to minimum sentence of rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years and a fine of Rs one lakh for the above said offence," the judge said.
The court said he was carrying the drug for commercial purpose.
East Delhi resident Pal had sought leniency, saying he had to maintain his wife, two kids, his mother and two unmarried siblings.
He was arrested by Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) on August 16, 2010 following an information that a handicapped man would be coming at a bus stand on Ring Road near Rajghat and he would be carrying a bag containing heroin and deliver it to someone else.
According to the prosecution, when Pal saw the DRI team, he tried to escape but was apprehended and the heroin consignment was recovered from his possession.
Pal, in his statement, had said that on August 15, 2010, he had met one Iqbal Gill in Punjab and when the man came to know about his unemployed status and poor financial condition, he was asked him to carry a bag containing the narcotic substance to Delhi and deliver it to another person for a payment.
According to Pal, he had agreed to deliver the bag containing five packets of heroin to one African man at a bus stand here from where he was caught by the DRI officials. He had also said that Gill had promised to pay him Rs 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'