Injured African student critical, lung damage worrying docs
New Delhi: Doctors at the AIIMS had to
remove a portion of the lungs of a 22-year-old African student
to successfully complete a four-hour surgery to remove two
iron rods embedded in his chest.
Talking in detail to the media here about the surgery
conducted yesterday, the doctors said they used 50 units of
blood to operate upon Ouattara Adoma, after two iron rods
pierced his chest during a road mishap.
"Almost 50 units of blood were needed to successfully
accomplish the operation. Since his lungs were torn apart due
to the impact of the iron rods and he suffered huge blood
loss, this overdose of blood transfusion was required," Dr M C
Misra, chief of AIIMS Trauma Centre, said.
Adoma and his friend Cheick (21), both information
technology students, were on their way to Vasant Vihar when
their car rammed into a truck-laden with iron rods yesterday.
"The operation was successful but Adoma`s condition is
still critical. Two iron rods each weighing 15 kg each had
pierced into his chest making way from the right arm to the
rib cage and into the lungs and then came out from the other
side," said Misra.
In order to accomplish the surgery, doctors had to remove
a portion of his lungs with help from a team of 25 medics and
nurses, he said.
This is the second such case where doctors in the city
have successfully removed an iron rod that went through the
body of an accident victim.
In 2008, doctors in AIIMS had operated upon Supratim
Dutta after a five-ft long iron angle that had rammed into the
bonnet of the car pierced the dashboard and impaled him
through his torso.
Dr Misra said, "In case of Supratim, seven organs were
damaged. He survived as his bleeding could be controlled. But
in case of this boy, one lung has been damaged which can be
fatal for him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy