Jamia OKs credit transfer in post-graduate courses
New Delhi: Jamia Millia Islamia has introduced credit transfer system for its post-graduate courses under which students get to opt for diverse subjects in a flexible academic programme.
The university said in a statement here that the credit transfer system will be implemented across all departments, centres and faculties for post-graduate courses.
"Credit transfer system entails that the students can opt for courses at the post graduate level cutting across disciplines and faculties, which will bring greater diversity and flexibility in academic programmes of the university," the university said.
Thus, Jamia Millia becomes one of the few institutions in the country to have introduced the credit transfer system at post-graduate level.
"For instance, a student doing MA in any department of the faculty of humanities and languages can now choose courses in other departments of the faculty of humanities and languages, faculty of social sciences as well as centres for Jawaharlal Nehru studies, Dalit and minorities, peace and conflict resolution, culture, media and governance, and study of comparative religion and civilization," the university said.
"The idea is to promote inter-disciplinary study by giving students a wider choice of subjects. This will enable them not only to acquire holistic knowledge, a better understanding of the social universe around them but also help them evolve as better citizens," it said.
Under the credit transfer system now in force, of the 16 papers that a student has to do during the entire two-year duration of the post-graduate programme, two could be chosen from outside the department.
A student can do only one such course per semester and two during the entire duration of the MA programme.
The university proposes to increase the number of such courses from two to four in the future. This would mean that a student can do four out of 16 courses from outside the department where he or she is registered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'