Jamia OKs credit transfer in post-graduate courses
New Delhi: Jamia Millia Islamia has introduced credit transfer system for its post-graduate courses under which students get to opt for diverse subjects in a flexible academic programme.
The university said in a statement here that the credit transfer system will be implemented across all departments, centres and faculties for post-graduate courses.
"Credit transfer system entails that the students can opt for courses at the post graduate level cutting across disciplines and faculties, which will bring greater diversity and flexibility in academic programmes of the university," the university said.
Thus, Jamia Millia becomes one of the few institutions in the country to have introduced the credit transfer system at post-graduate level.
"For instance, a student doing MA in any department of the faculty of humanities and languages can now choose courses in other departments of the faculty of humanities and languages, faculty of social sciences as well as centres for Jawaharlal Nehru studies, Dalit and minorities, peace and conflict resolution, culture, media and governance, and study of comparative religion and civilization," the university said.
"The idea is to promote inter-disciplinary study by giving students a wider choice of subjects. This will enable them not only to acquire holistic knowledge, a better understanding of the social universe around them but also help them evolve as better citizens," it said.
Under the credit transfer system now in force, of the 16 papers that a student has to do during the entire two-year duration of the post-graduate programme, two could be chosen from outside the department.
A student can do only one such course per semester and two during the entire duration of the MA programme.
The university proposes to increase the number of such courses from two to four in the future. This would mean that a student can do four out of 16 courses from outside the department where he or she is registered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'