Judges not always mechanical, some adopt bold reforms: Sikri
New Delhi: Not all judges churn out judgments "mechanically" and there are also those who adopt a "bold approach" towards reform, acting Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court A K Sikri said Wednesday.
Justice Sikri, who was speaking at the release of a book authored by his colleague Justice J R Midha, said "though judges are not meant to be catalysts, sometimes we have to perform even that role".
"We (judges) keep churning out judgments whatever may be the issue involved. We deal with that issue, with that particular aspect and whatever is our view we pen it down through our judgments. However, most of the time, we carry out this task mechanically.
However, "there are certain other category of judges, like Justice Midha who become sensitive to the infirmities of the law and adopt a bold approach towards reform," Justice Sikri added.
The book, Motor Accident Claims - A Ready Reference, which was released by Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, contains several judgments, including landmark verdicts, on the issue of motor accident claims.
Others who were present at the event included Delhi High Court judges, legal luminaries, academicians and members of the legal fraternity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!