Kejriwal comes out in defence of youth booked for cop`s death
New Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party Tuesday alleged that Delhi Police had wrongly implicated eight people in the death of a constable following Sunday violence at India Gate and claimed there was no evidence of their involvement.
"Police has no evidence about these people, whom they have arrested from different places and were protesting peacefully for justice to the gang rape victim," AAP Convenor Kejriwal said.
Police are telling lies and trying to mislead the media and the
common man by saying that AAP worker Manish Sisodia had given the bail amount which is wrong, he alleged, adding police were "trying to implicate these eight innocent youth to suppress this movement using their power".
Terming the death of the constable as "unfortunate", Kejriwal said "whosoever is responsible for his death should be punished. Even if an AAP member is involved, punish him but we will not allow innocent people to be implicated."
He said police were trying to portray that the movement became violent due to the involvement of Swami Ramdev, Gen (retd) V K Singh and members of AAP.
It is an attempt by the police to justify their action of resorting to lathicharge, tear gas shelling and water cannon use on the peaceful protesters.
"There were some rogue element in the demonstration who were pelting stones, empty bottle on police. They can identify them but they have failed to apprehend them who were actually involved in stone-pelting at India Gate," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note