Law student arrested in cheating case
New Delhi: A 27-year-old law student was arrested here for allegedly cloning and misusing credit and debit cards, police said on Friday.
Acting on a tip-off, police arrested Vipin Tomar alias Pintu, a resident of Arifpur Kheri village in Uttar Pradesh, yesterday from near Rohini-West metro station, they said.
A static card reader, mobile card reader (used for stealing data from original cards), five printed credit and debit cards, four plain cards, two small CDs with software were seized from him, police said.
"Tomar is a graduate from Chaudhary Charan Singh University in Meerut and pursuing LLB from the same," Additional CP (Crime) Ravindra Yadav said.
During interrogation, Tomar told police that that he gained expertise in cloning debit and credit card after coming in contact with one Anand Mishra in 2009.
"He learnt the techniques of cloning cards and started his own gang. He along with his associates Rajesh and Kamal purchased card reader machines and started using them," Yadav said, adding that police have recovered two of the machines.
Tomar was earlier arrested in 2010 by Anand Vihar police station in a similar case.
In 2011, his associates Rajesh and Kamal were arrested by Adarsh Nagar police in a case of cheating, while Tomar managed to fled with the machines.
After remaining underground for about two years, he came to Delhi to start his activities and was in search of his old associates or a fresher with a similar bent of mind, Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video