Man gets 10 years in jail for raping minor neighbour
New Delhi: A man has been sent to 10 years in jail for raping his minor neighbour last year by a Delhi court which also directed the state to pay Rs one lakh compensation to the victim for her rehabilitation.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau awarded the jail term and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on 30-year-old Keshav Puram resident Surya Bhan saying his act is "unpardonable" and he does not deserve any leniency.
"The convict taking advantage of the tender age of the prosecutrix (minor), her immature understanding and absence of her family members committed rape upon the minor. What the convict has done with the minor girl is unpardonable and under these circumstances, no leniency can be shown to the convict," the court said.
The judge said that it is a matter of concern that the cases of young girls being sexually exploited are on a rise.
"Of late instances of young girls of impressionable age being sexually exploited are on a rise and I may observe that it is a matter of national concern. The primary obligation of the courts is to ensure that minors are protected from all kind of exploitations," the judge said.
The court directed Delhi government`s principal secretary (Home) to pay Rs one lakh compensation to the victim who requires medical attention and rehabilitation and said that the amount should be used for her welfare.
According to the prosecution, on April 4 last year, when the 12-year-old girl was alone at her house, Bhan had called the girl to his house on the third floor and had raped her.
Bhan and the victim were residing on different floors of the same building. Police said that the girl had informed her parents about the incident when they returned home and a case was registered against Bhan.
The girl had told the police that Bhan had misbehaved with her on previous occasion also.
The court rejected Bhan`s plea seeking leniency on the ground that he has to support his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!