Man tries self-immolation near Parliament House
New Delhi: A 39-year-old man on Friday tried to immolate himself near Parliament House to protest against his dismissal from Border Security Force (BSF), police said.
The man, identified as Ashok Kumar, was sacked from his services in BSF in the year 2000 after he was declared mentally unstable, police said.
According to police, Kumar, along with his wife and three children, came to Vijay Chowk this afternoon and poured kerosene on himself. However, he was prevented by security officials, deployed at the spot, from self-immolation, police said.
Kumar was then taken to Parliament Street Police station. He was sent for a medical examination to ascertain if he is mentally ill or not, police said.
"He told police that he had approached several senior officials in the force as well as Home Ministery but his demand was not met. Upset over this, he today took such step," said a senior police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Shoulder injury forces Serena Williams out of Montreal
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Hosts lead by 489 at 3rd day close
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces
- Pakistan spinner Mohammad Hafeez to undergo retest on modified bowling action
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi