Man tries self-immolation near Parliament House
New Delhi: A 39-year-old man on Friday tried to immolate himself near Parliament House to protest against his dismissal from Border Security Force (BSF), police said.
The man, identified as Ashok Kumar, was sacked from his services in BSF in the year 2000 after he was declared mentally unstable, police said.
According to police, Kumar, along with his wife and three children, came to Vijay Chowk this afternoon and poured kerosene on himself. However, he was prevented by security officials, deployed at the spot, from self-immolation, police said.
Kumar was then taken to Parliament Street Police station. He was sent for a medical examination to ascertain if he is mentally ill or not, police said.
"He told police that he had approached several senior officials in the force as well as Home Ministery but his demand was not met. Upset over this, he today took such step," said a senior police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Will Syria gas attacks probe nail the Assad regime?
- SIT's recommendation of banning cash transactions above Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Revealed! Release date of Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' teaser
- Rio Olympics 2016: Australia's Cate Campbell swam with hernia, says report
- Apple buys health startup founded by Indian-origin duo