Man tries self-immolation near Parliament House
New Delhi: A 39-year-old man on Friday tried to immolate himself near Parliament House to protest against his dismissal from Border Security Force (BSF), police said.
The man, identified as Ashok Kumar, was sacked from his services in BSF in the year 2000 after he was declared mentally unstable, police said.
According to police, Kumar, along with his wife and three children, came to Vijay Chowk this afternoon and poured kerosene on himself. However, he was prevented by security officials, deployed at the spot, from self-immolation, police said.
Kumar was then taken to Parliament Street Police station. He was sent for a medical examination to ascertain if he is mentally ill or not, police said.
"He told police that he had approached several senior officials in the force as well as Home Ministery but his demand was not met. Upset over this, he today took such step," said a senior police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach