Mischievous text messages on NE people in Delhi
New Delhi: Mischievous text messages claiming that people from the North-East will be targeted in Delhi, particularly after Ramzan, have started circulating with police on Saturday urging the community not to believe in them and stating that adequate security measures have been taken.
"Fake SMSes about northeastern people being targeted in Delhi, particularly after Ramzan, are being circulated. Do not believe them. Situation is normal. There is no violence against people from north-east," Robin Hibu, Joint Commissioner of Police, said.
He said police have reviewed the security for North-East people with senior officials in district, Special Branch and PCR.
Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar tweeted late last night, "Friends from NE please do not go by rumours being spread. They are rumours and only rumours. Please discard them. We are with you. No need to panic."
"Situation is peaceful. Highest alert is on. Police had meetings with North-East residents in Janakpuri, Mahipalpur, Munirka, Mukherjee Nagar for proper coordination of security.
"More visible patrolling in North-East dominated areas is continuing. Any rumours just dial 100, inform local police," Hibu said.
If anyone has any doubt, he said, one can contact him at phone numbers 011-25315003 and 9810083486 or on his email robinhibu@gmail.Com.
His remarks came as a large number of people from the North-East left Bangalore, Chennai and Pune following rumours that they will be attacked in the wake of Assam violence.
Yesterday, Kumar said there was no reason for them to panic or leave the capital.
"(We) wish to assure all people from the north east that (there is) no reason whatsoever to panic or leave Delhi. Please report any disturbing incident to us. We are with you for help," Kumar tweeted.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador