Mischievous text messages on NE people in Delhi
New Delhi: Mischievous text messages claiming that people from the North-East will be targeted in Delhi, particularly after Ramzan, have started circulating with police on Saturday urging the community not to believe in them and stating that adequate security measures have been taken.
"Fake SMSes about northeastern people being targeted in Delhi, particularly after Ramzan, are being circulated. Do not believe them. Situation is normal. There is no violence against people from north-east," Robin Hibu, Joint Commissioner of Police, said.
He said police have reviewed the security for North-East people with senior officials in district, Special Branch and PCR.
Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar tweeted late last night, "Friends from NE please do not go by rumours being spread. They are rumours and only rumours. Please discard them. We are with you. No need to panic."
"Situation is peaceful. Highest alert is on. Police had meetings with North-East residents in Janakpuri, Mahipalpur, Munirka, Mukherjee Nagar for proper coordination of security.
"More visible patrolling in North-East dominated areas is continuing. Any rumours just dial 100, inform local police," Hibu said.
If anyone has any doubt, he said, one can contact him at phone numbers 011-25315003 and 9810083486 or on his email robinhibu@gmail.Com.
His remarks came as a large number of people from the North-East left Bangalore, Chennai and Pune following rumours that they will be attacked in the wake of Assam violence.
Yesterday, Kumar said there was no reason for them to panic or leave the capital.
"(We) wish to assure all people from the north east that (there is) no reason whatsoever to panic or leave Delhi. Please report any disturbing incident to us. We are with you for help," Kumar tweeted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case