Most number of women harassment cases in UP: NCW
New Delhi: The maximum number of cases of
harassment of women were reported from Uttar Pradesh and Delhi
in the past three months, the National Commission for Women
(NCW) said on Friday.
According to NCW, it received 2,853 complaints from Uttar
Pradesh followed by 526 from Delhi, 372 from Rajasthan, 217
from Haryana and 139 from Madhya Pradesh between August 1 and
The Commission received 1,119 complaints of police apathy
followed by 1,105 complaints of domestic violence or
matrimonial dispute, 326 property disputes, 181 rape cases and
158 complaints by in-laws.
NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma said the Commission has
spoken to the state governments for taking appropriate action
in this regard.
"However, their response has not been encouraging so
far," she told reporters here.
In a bid to make NCW more approachable for women and
eliminate the communication gap with states, the Commission is
also planning to start a dedicated toll-free call centre on
pilot basis within three months.
The Commission is talking to women organisations to
properly implement this plan.
"We are also starting a campaign, Mahila Adhikar Abhiyan,
from November 19 to November 23 in four states - Punjab,
Haryana, Rajasthan and Kerala," she said.
Sharma said 3,000 sq m land has been identified in Jasola
village for a new 3-storey building for the NCW which will
have a conference and meeting hall.
She said the Commission is also making efforts to make
sure that there is a speedy disposal of pending cases
concerning women and relief is given to victims in their
respective states itself so that they do not have to come all
the way to Delhi.
Highlighting her achievements, she said 100 per cent NRI
cases have been solved in the last three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks