Most number of women harassment cases in UP: NCW
New Delhi: The maximum number of cases of
harassment of women were reported from Uttar Pradesh and Delhi
in the past three months, the National Commission for Women
(NCW) said on Friday.
According to NCW, it received 2,853 complaints from Uttar
Pradesh followed by 526 from Delhi, 372 from Rajasthan, 217
from Haryana and 139 from Madhya Pradesh between August 1 and
The Commission received 1,119 complaints of police apathy
followed by 1,105 complaints of domestic violence or
matrimonial dispute, 326 property disputes, 181 rape cases and
158 complaints by in-laws.
NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma said the Commission has
spoken to the state governments for taking appropriate action
in this regard.
"However, their response has not been encouraging so
far," she told reporters here.
In a bid to make NCW more approachable for women and
eliminate the communication gap with states, the Commission is
also planning to start a dedicated toll-free call centre on
pilot basis within three months.
The Commission is talking to women organisations to
properly implement this plan.
"We are also starting a campaign, Mahila Adhikar Abhiyan,
from November 19 to November 23 in four states - Punjab,
Haryana, Rajasthan and Kerala," she said.
Sharma said 3,000 sq m land has been identified in Jasola
village for a new 3-storey building for the NCW which will
have a conference and meeting hall.
She said the Commission is also making efforts to make
sure that there is a speedy disposal of pending cases
concerning women and relief is given to victims in their
respective states itself so that they do not have to come all
the way to Delhi.
Highlighting her achievements, she said 100 per cent NRI
cases have been solved in the last three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September