Need CBI probe into misuse of RTI for personal gain: Congress
New Delhi: Alleging that the Right to Information Act was often misused for settling scores with government officials, Congress MLA Mukesh Sharma on Thursday demanded a CBI probe into such cases.
"Records show that there were several cases where people who didn`t even live in Delhi filed RTI applications and then withdrew them," Sharma said at a street meeting during his 300km Vijay Vishwas Yatra at Uttam Nagar.
Terming such people blackmailers, the Parliamentary Secretary to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said they filed RTI queries and then "settled" the matter with corrupt officials before withdrawing their applications.
He demanded a CBI inquiry to unravel the number of RTI applications filed in Delhi which had reached their conclusion along with a list of those which had been withdrawn along with the reason for the withdrawal.
Warning that "blackmailers" who were misusing the RTI Act were trying to gain a backdoor entry into politics, he said, "they should be given the right response during elections."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!