Need CBI probe into misuse of RTI for personal gain: Congress
New Delhi: Alleging that the Right to Information Act was often misused for settling scores with government officials, Congress MLA Mukesh Sharma on Thursday demanded a CBI probe into such cases.
"Records show that there were several cases where people who didn`t even live in Delhi filed RTI applications and then withdrew them," Sharma said at a street meeting during his 300km Vijay Vishwas Yatra at Uttam Nagar.
Terming such people blackmailers, the Parliamentary Secretary to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said they filed RTI queries and then "settled" the matter with corrupt officials before withdrawing their applications.
He demanded a CBI inquiry to unravel the number of RTI applications filed in Delhi which had reached their conclusion along with a list of those which had been withdrawn along with the reason for the withdrawal.
Warning that "blackmailers" who were misusing the RTI Act were trying to gain a backdoor entry into politics, he said, "they should be given the right response during elections."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!