Need CBI probe into misuse of RTI for personal gain: Congress
New Delhi: Alleging that the Right to Information Act was often misused for settling scores with government officials, Congress MLA Mukesh Sharma on Thursday demanded a CBI probe into such cases.
"Records show that there were several cases where people who didn`t even live in Delhi filed RTI applications and then withdrew them," Sharma said at a street meeting during his 300km Vijay Vishwas Yatra at Uttam Nagar.
Terming such people blackmailers, the Parliamentary Secretary to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said they filed RTI queries and then "settled" the matter with corrupt officials before withdrawing their applications.
He demanded a CBI inquiry to unravel the number of RTI applications filed in Delhi which had reached their conclusion along with a list of those which had been withdrawn along with the reason for the withdrawal.
Warning that "blackmailers" who were misusing the RTI Act were trying to gain a backdoor entry into politics, he said, "they should be given the right response during elections."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times