NHRC notice to NDMC, police over sanitation worker`s death
New Delhi: NHRC on Monday issued a notice to North Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Police over the death of a sanitation worker while cleaning a drain in outer Delhi.
The National Human Rights Commission issued the notice to the NDMC Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner of Police, Outer District, seeking a report into the incident within two weeks.
The notice was issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of a media report alleging that a temporary `safai karmachari`, Om Prakash Omi (43), died while his associate, Sagar (34) sustained serious injuries during the cleaning of a drain in sector-20 of Rohini.
A preliminary investigation by police revealed that the two workers had inhaled poisonous gas in the drain.
The NHRC observed that issue raises a serious issue of violation of right to life and safety of safai karmacharis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls