NHRC notice to NDMC, police over sanitation worker`s death
New Delhi: NHRC on Monday issued a notice to North Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Police over the death of a sanitation worker while cleaning a drain in outer Delhi.
The National Human Rights Commission issued the notice to the NDMC Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner of Police, Outer District, seeking a report into the incident within two weeks.
The notice was issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of a media report alleging that a temporary `safai karmachari`, Om Prakash Omi (43), died while his associate, Sagar (34) sustained serious injuries during the cleaning of a drain in sector-20 of Rohini.
A preliminary investigation by police revealed that the two workers had inhaled poisonous gas in the drain.
The NHRC observed that issue raises a serious issue of violation of right to life and safety of safai karmacharis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?
- Tax holiday for start-ups should be raised to 7 years, says Commerce Minister