NHRC notice to NDMC, police over sanitation worker`s death
New Delhi: NHRC on Monday issued a notice to North Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Police over the death of a sanitation worker while cleaning a drain in outer Delhi.
The National Human Rights Commission issued the notice to the NDMC Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner of Police, Outer District, seeking a report into the incident within two weeks.
The notice was issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of a media report alleging that a temporary `safai karmachari`, Om Prakash Omi (43), died while his associate, Sagar (34) sustained serious injuries during the cleaning of a drain in sector-20 of Rohini.
A preliminary investigation by police revealed that the two workers had inhaled poisonous gas in the drain.
The NHRC observed that issue raises a serious issue of violation of right to life and safety of safai karmacharis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC