NHRC notice to NDMC, police over sanitation worker`s death
New Delhi: NHRC on Monday issued a notice to North Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Police over the death of a sanitation worker while cleaning a drain in outer Delhi.
The National Human Rights Commission issued the notice to the NDMC Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner of Police, Outer District, seeking a report into the incident within two weeks.
The notice was issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of a media report alleging that a temporary `safai karmachari`, Om Prakash Omi (43), died while his associate, Sagar (34) sustained serious injuries during the cleaning of a drain in sector-20 of Rohini.
A preliminary investigation by police revealed that the two workers had inhaled poisonous gas in the drain.
The NHRC observed that issue raises a serious issue of violation of right to life and safety of safai karmacharis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?