NHRC notice to NDMC, police over sanitation worker`s death
New Delhi: NHRC on Monday issued a notice to North Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Police over the death of a sanitation worker while cleaning a drain in outer Delhi.
The National Human Rights Commission issued the notice to the NDMC Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner of Police, Outer District, seeking a report into the incident within two weeks.
The notice was issued after the Commission took suo motu cognisance of a media report alleging that a temporary `safai karmachari`, Om Prakash Omi (43), died while his associate, Sagar (34) sustained serious injuries during the cleaning of a drain in sector-20 of Rohini.
A preliminary investigation by police revealed that the two workers had inhaled poisonous gas in the drain.
The NHRC observed that issue raises a serious issue of violation of right to life and safety of safai karmacharis.
- I have no PM ambitions, united alliance is the need of the hour: Nitish Kumar
- Core sector expands to a 16-month high of 6.4% in March
- Jiah Khan case: HC refuses to extend stay on trial against Sooraj Pancholi
- Gautam Gambhir endorses Zaheer Khan for Team India coaching role - Here's what he said!
- Know why Jayalalithaa’s canteens serving sambar rice, idlis can impact TN polls!