Panel to interact with northeast people in Delhi
New Delhi: The Home Ministry Friday said a panel, formed to look into the concerns of northeast people, will hold interactions with the students, professionals and other people from the northeast living here.
The ministry had set up a six-member committee Feb 6 headed by MP Bezbaruah. The panel will hold interactions from March 18.
"The committee is holding its meeting till Feb 22 and will again meet from March 18 onwards in Nagaland Bhavan for interaction with the students, professionals and various other people from the northeastern states living in Delhi, and also with the NGOs, student organisations and other associations for seeking their suggestions in this regard," said an official statement.
The ministry said the suggestions can be sent by e-mail at email@example.com and can also be posted to S Saha, member secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs, who is also a member of the committee.
The committee was formed to look into various kinds of concerns faced by the people hailing from the northeastern states who are living in different parts of the country, especially the metropolitan areas, and to suggest suitable remedial measures which could then be taken by the government.
It will examine the causes behind attacks or violence and discrimination against those people and suggest measures to the government.
The committee was formed in the wake of an attack on Nido Tania, a student from Arunachal Pradesh, who died Jan 30 after being beaten up by shopkeepers here.
The attack lead to an outrage and people from the northeast started demanding for an anti-racism law, forcing the government form the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan