Parking rates in South Delhi area to double
New Delhi: Parking rates in areas under the jurisdiction of South Delhi Municipal Corporation will double with the civic body on Wednesday clearing a budget proposal for this.
The civic body adopted the proposal for increase in parking rates suggested by SDMC Commissioner Manish Gupta with some modifications.
According to the decision, Rs 20 will be charged for the first three hours and Rs 10 for every subsequent hour for four-wheelers and Rs 10 for first three hours and Rs 5 for every subsequent hour for two-wheelers.
The present parking rates for cars is Rs 10 for first 10 hours and Rs 20 for 24 hours.
"Parking rates have not been revised for a long time now. The hike is just a step in regularising the parking contractors who are even now charging Rs 20 from driver.
"The extra Rs 10 is going into their pockets instead of reaching the Corporation. The hike will also encourage more people to use public transport, Rajesh Gehlot, Chairman of SDMC Standing Committee, said.
Gupta had in December suggested parking rates to be charged hourly. For parking a car in Category A area for half an hour, it was suggested that cars should shell out Rs 10, for half hour to one hour Rs 20 and for one hour to three hours Rs. 50. An additional Rs.20 per hour was to be charged for every extra hour after that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan