Police faces Dikshit`s ire again over Lajpat Nagar shocker
New Delhi: A day after a man shoved an iron rod into a young girl`s throat while trying to rape her, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit trained her guns on police again saying women do not feel safe in the national capital.
"Women don`t feel safe in Delhi. There is no feeling of security. What had happened yesterday in Lajpat Nagar is shocking. The incident has raised our worries," Dikshit said commenting about the incident.
In a shocking incident, the 26-year-old man working with a local power distribution company allegedly assaulted the young girl brutally by shoving an iron rod into her mouth when she resisted his attempt to rape her.
Police has arrested the man. The girl has been admitted to a private hospital where her condition was stated to be critical.
Dikshit said her government would do everything possible to address safety concerns of women. A number of steps have already been taken in this regard, she said.
"When we talk about security, we know police is there. But there is no satisfaction about security which should be there," the Chief Minister said.
Dikshit had been critical of functioning of police and even demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the aftermath of the December 16 gang-rape.
"My government will do everything possible to provide a conducive atmosphere for women in the city," she said.
The Delhi government had last week even sent a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde accusing the police of "completely deviating" from its core duties and "trivialising" the issue of safety of women.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know