Police faces Dikshit`s ire again over Lajpat Nagar shocker
New Delhi: A day after a man shoved an iron rod into a young girl`s throat while trying to rape her, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit trained her guns on police again saying women do not feel safe in the national capital.
"Women don`t feel safe in Delhi. There is no feeling of security. What had happened yesterday in Lajpat Nagar is shocking. The incident has raised our worries," Dikshit said commenting about the incident.
In a shocking incident, the 26-year-old man working with a local power distribution company allegedly assaulted the young girl brutally by shoving an iron rod into her mouth when she resisted his attempt to rape her.
Police has arrested the man. The girl has been admitted to a private hospital where her condition was stated to be critical.
Dikshit said her government would do everything possible to address safety concerns of women. A number of steps have already been taken in this regard, she said.
"When we talk about security, we know police is there. But there is no satisfaction about security which should be there," the Chief Minister said.
Dikshit had been critical of functioning of police and even demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the aftermath of the December 16 gang-rape.
"My government will do everything possible to provide a conducive atmosphere for women in the city," she said.
The Delhi government had last week even sent a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde accusing the police of "completely deviating" from its core duties and "trivialising" the issue of safety of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!