Police faces Dikshit`s ire again over Lajpat Nagar shocker
New Delhi: A day after a man shoved an iron rod into a young girl`s throat while trying to rape her, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit trained her guns on police again saying women do not feel safe in the national capital.
"Women don`t feel safe in Delhi. There is no feeling of security. What had happened yesterday in Lajpat Nagar is shocking. The incident has raised our worries," Dikshit said commenting about the incident.
In a shocking incident, the 26-year-old man working with a local power distribution company allegedly assaulted the young girl brutally by shoving an iron rod into her mouth when she resisted his attempt to rape her.
Police has arrested the man. The girl has been admitted to a private hospital where her condition was stated to be critical.
Dikshit said her government would do everything possible to address safety concerns of women. A number of steps have already been taken in this regard, she said.
"When we talk about security, we know police is there. But there is no satisfaction about security which should be there," the Chief Minister said.
Dikshit had been critical of functioning of police and even demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the aftermath of the December 16 gang-rape.
"My government will do everything possible to provide a conducive atmosphere for women in the city," she said.
The Delhi government had last week even sent a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde accusing the police of "completely deviating" from its core duties and "trivialising" the issue of safety of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins