Police pushed for early cremation of gang-rape victim: BJP leader
New Delhi: Delhi Police "forced" the family of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim to cremate her body before sunrise after she was flown here from Singapore early Sunday, a local BJP leader alleged.
"The family members refused to cremate the body before sunrise. But they were forced by the police to do the cremation. The family was forced to do the last rites before sunrise," Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party chief Vijender Gupta, who participated in the last rites, told a news agency.
The body was taken to south Delhi, the residence of the victim, and the rites were performed before the cremation took place at a crematorium amid heavy deployment of police and Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel.
"With heavy police presence, the body was cremated around 7.30 am today (Sunday) morning, as the (girl`s) family members refused to cremate the body at 6.30 am (when it is still dark). The cremation was delayed and it was finally performed at 7.30 am," Gupta added.
A special Air India aircraft carrying the body of the victim touched down at the Delhi airport at 3.30 am. The parents of the woman accompanied the body.
The woman was tortured and gang-raped by six men Dec 16. She was in the Safdarjung Hospital here for 10 days before being flown to Singapore for treatment when her condition deteriorated. She died early Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls