Road near Vijay Chowk closed for public from Tuesday
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Monday issued an advisory asking motorists to avoid a road near Vijay Chowk as it will remain closed for public from tomorrow due to the VVIP movement near Parliament.
According to the traffic advisory, police said general traffic, including buses, shall not be allowed to ply on Rafi Marg between round abouts of Sunehri Masjid and Rail Bhawan.
"Due to ongoing parliament session, large number of VVIPs/motorists are visiting Vijay Chowk, Parliament House, Rafi Marg and surrounding areas. Section 144 CrPC has been imposed. Rafi Marg has been closed from 7th May onwards," Anil Shukla, Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic), said in the advisory.
Motorists are advised to follow Janpath and Mansingh Road to cross Rajpath from North to South and South to North, he said.
General public are advised to avoid the above mentioned routes and co-operate with and follow the directions of the traffic policemen to avoid inconvenience, he said.
The advisory came hours after Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said he has asked Delhi Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna to seek a report from Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar on how Sikhs protesting the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar managed to reach near Vijay Chowk and block traffic.
Several MPs had to get down from their vehicles and walk to Parliament to attend the ongoing Budget session.
According to the advisory, all buses coming from round about Sunehri Masjid may take Maulana Azad Road to Moti Lal Nehru Place and reach Janpath.
Buses coming from round about Rail Bhawan may take Raisina Road and Rajendra Prasad Road to reach Janpath and Man Singh Road, it said.
To avoid congestion because of the closure of Rafi Marg, motorists may take routes via Moti Lal Nehru Place from South of Rajpath and via round about Windsor Place from North of Rajpath to cross Rajpath and to reach their destination.
Vehicles moving towards Parliament, North Block and South Block shall be allowed to pass after due verification, Shukla said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez