Rs 20 lakh worth foreign brand cigarettes seized at IGI
New Delhi: Cigarettes worth nearly Rs 20 lakh have been seized by customs officials from five Afghan nationals at Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport here.
The Customs officers on Thursday had intercepted five Afghan passengers Mohammad Nazir, Shukib, Zergai, Toryaji and Najibullah - coming from Kabul and recovered 984 packets (1,96,800 sticks) of `Mond` brand cigarettes valued Rs 19.68 lakh which were being smuggled into India.
"The goods have been seized under provisions of Customs Act, 1962," an official said.
In another incident, customs officials seized nine kg assorted silver jewellery from another Afghan national earlier this week.
The passenger Sadiqullah was intercepted at the IGI airport on September 25 when he was attempting to smuggle silver jewellery into India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed