SC quashes land acquisition in Chandigarh for IT Park
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday quashed the 104.83 acre land acquired by Chandigarh administration under the garb of developing an Information Technology park in the city saying it was done to favour the private developers.
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhaya held that the land was not acquired for "a bona fide public purpose and that in the garb of acquiring land for IT Park etc., the Administration wanted to favour the private developers".
The court passed the order on a bunch of appeal filed by land owner alleging mal-practice by the government in grabbing their land under the garb of developing Rajiv Gandhi IT park.
"Though, the ostensible object of transferring the land to the Chandigarh Housing Board was development of residential and other infrastructural facilities in the IT Park, the real purpose was to benefit the private developers," the bench said.
The court held that the adviser to the Administrator was not competent to accord approval to the initiation of the acquisition proceedings or take decision on the reports submitted by the Land Acquisition Officer and record his satisfaction that the land was needed for the specified public purpose.
The bench said several officers of the concerned department failed to discharge their duties in accordance with the law and LAO alone cannot be blamed for the illegality as he was only "minion in the hierarchy of the administration and could not have even thought of making recommendations contrary to what was contained in the letter sent by the Administrator".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed