School to pay fine for taking money to provide TC
New Delhi: A prominent public school in the city has been directed by a consumer forum to pay Rs 33,650 as compensation to a student for charging money to provide a transfer certificate (TC) even though he had not sought admission nor attended any class after completing class X from there.
The demand made by Delhi Public School, Mathura Road, for deposit of Rs 18,650 to provide the certificate was held "unjustified" by the New Delhi District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.
The forum noted that the school has failed to explain why it demanded deposit of the amount when the student had decided not to continue studying there after class X by not taking admission in class XI nor attending a single class.
"Opposite party (DPS, Mathura Road) has failed to explain the deposits demanded, when student did not attend any class in class XI, nor took admission in class XI. We hold it as an unjustified deposit for issuing a school leaving certificate only.
"Holding opposite party guilty of deficiency we direct it to return Rs 18,650 and award compensation of Rs 15,000...," a bench presided by C K Chaturvedi said.
The forum`s order came on the complaint filed by the student`s father, Sarfaraz Hussain, who had said that as his son did not get science stream in the school, they had decided to admit him elsewhere and had sought a transfer certificate.
The school had informed the student that a transfer certificate would be provided on deposit of Rs 18,650 which was duly paid, Hussain claimed.
However, despite receiving the amount and several visits by the student`s parents, the school had not provided the certificate nor did it refund the money, Hussain had alleged in his complaint.
The order was passed ex-parte as no one had appeared on behalf of the school despite issuance of a notice from the forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC