Sexual harassment charge: HC seeks response from MTNL
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has sought response from MTNL on a woman employee`s charge that she was subjected to sexual harassment by her male colleagues who, she claimed, watched pornographic websites in her presence.
The court also asked the counsel for the state-owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd to apprise it, after taking instructions, as to whether the male employees concerned can be transferred or not.
"This is strange... Instead of transferring the employees against whom allegations have been made, you (MTNL) have transferred the complainant woman," Justice Rajiv Shakdher said and asked MTNL to file its reply by May 7.
The woman, who got a job on compassionate ground as an assistant with MTNL at a North Delhi office after the death of her husband, alleged four of her male colleagues were harassing her.
"The respondents (male colleagues) used to open pornographic websites in the office computer installed in the room of respondent No 3 during office hours and used to call the petitioner (woman) into the room while viewing the pornographic websites," the plea, filed through lawyer Suman Kapoor, said.
The colleagues of the victim "extended threats and abuses" to her after she objected to their acts, it said.
MTNL, which initially did not take any action, later constituted a panel to look into the allegations, it said.
"The committee, without following the proper procedures and non application of mind, decided only to advise respondents No 3 to 6 `to be careful while dealing with women staff`, without redressing any of her complaints," the petition said.
MTNL, instead of transferring male employees, "transferred the petitioner to her disadvantage and putting her in hardship", it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015