Sheila denies defaming city BJP chief
New Delhi: A day after Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta served a legal notice on her demanding an apology for remarks against an NGO run by his wife, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday outrightly rejected charges of
defaming the opposition leader and instead accused him of "consistently" trying to malign her.
"How can I do that (defaming). I only stated what is already known about the NGO. I never tried to defame him," Dikshit said.
Accusing Gupta of consistently trying to tarnish her image by making personal attacks, Dikshit took strong exception to the language being used by the BJP leader against her to gain political mileage.
"He has been leveling all kinds of baseless allegations...See the kind of language he has been using...He called me crook, dictator and what not," said Dikshit. The Chief Minister said she has not received any notice from the BJP leader.
Gupta had yesterday served a legal notice on Dikshit asking her to tender an unconditional apology and withdraw the statement in which she alleged that NGO Sampurna run by his wife Shobha Vijender was involved in "wrongdoings". He had threat ended to file a defamation suit against her
if Dikshit did not apologise.
Addressing a press conference on Monday, Dikshit alleged that the NGO managed to collect a huge sums of money from BJP-ruled MCD but nobody knows how the outfit was spending the funds. Gupta himself is an MCD councilor.
Exuding confidence that Congress will win all the three new municipalities in the polls, Dikshit said the MCD completely failed to deliver its basic services to the citizens in the last five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India