Sheila Dikshit reaches out to Muslims
New Delhi: Reaching out to Muslims ahead of Assembly elections, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday listed out Congress`s contribution for the welfare of people, including minorities, and its efforts to maintain unity among people.
Addressing a gathering at the Dalit Muslim Sammelan, she said the gatheing symbolises unity and honour.
"We all have gathered here to take a pledge. Whether our country dwells in Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Mumbai or Uttar Pradesh and people living there speak different languages and follow different religions, they all are one and they are all Indians first," Dikshit said.
"If any of our brothers and sisters become a little weak, it will have dangerous consequences and the unity of our country will be disturbed. And if we don`t stay united, the development of the country will get disrupted," she said.
She said it is Congress party which has worked for the upliftment of Dalits.
She also elaborated on various schemes and efforts initiated by Congress President Sonia Gandhi including the food security Bill for welfare and empowerment of the people.
The programme was organized here by Mohd Shakeel Saifi, Chairman World Peace Harmony.
Congress leader Jagdish Tytler, Indipop singer, Daler Mehndi and actor Ranjeet also shared the dais with Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing