Tandoor murder case: Sharma`s love for wife strengthened murder case against him, says SC
New Delhi: Former Youth Congress leader Sushil Sharma`s love for his wife Naina Sahni strengthened the case against him of killing her because of his possessiveness and suspected infidelity, the Supreme Court said on Tuesday.
The court, while commuting the death sentence of Sharma to life imprisonment, said the evidence on record showed that he was extremely possessive of his wife and murdered her as he was suspecting her fidelity.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam turned down Sharma`s plea that he cannot killed Sahni as he was deeply in love with his wife.
"In our opinion, the appellant`s love for the deceased does not dilute the prosecution case on motive. In fact, it strengthens it," the bench said.
"It appears that the appellant was extremely possessive of the deceased. The evidence on record shows that the appellant suspected her fidelity and the murder was the result of this possessiveness," the bench said.
The court noted that even after getting married to Sharma, Sahni was still in touch with one Matloob Karim with whom she had an affair before the marriage which resulted in strained relationship between the couple.
"The evidence on record establishes that they were living together and were married but unfortunately, it appears that the deceased was still in touch with Matloob Karim," the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown