Treasures of Rajasthan on exhibit in Delhi
New Delhi: Traditional arts and crafts of Rajasthan as well as heritage properties and travel destinations of the desert state is on showcase in a two day exhibition that begins here today.
An initiative of Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum Trust (MSMS II) "Treasures of Rajasthan" is a collaboration with the Embassy of Egypt, which is hosting the event in its premises here.
"We have a goal of promoting tourism through this exhibition but the major idea behind it is to bring the languishing art forms like theva, thikri and lac work to the forefront so that people know about them," Princess Diya Kumari of Jaipur said.
The Princess says she is positioning this platform as an apt showcase to various forts and havelis that dot Rajasthan, presenting it before domestic travellers, who account for 80 per cent of tourism in India, as well as before diplomats.
"It has been our family tradition to promote arts and crafts, which started way back in 18th century by Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II who had then set up 36 karkhanas or state patronised ateliers of different crafts" she says.
The ambassador of Egypt to India, H E Khaled El Baky says, "History, culture, civilisation is something which Egypt can never say no to and who can be the best counterpart than India. There is tremendous scope of cooperation between the two countries and with this exhibition we look forward to exploring it."
The exhibition will showcase a wide array of products including marble, miniature paintings, blue pottery, furniture, carpets, gems, rugs, and jewellery, block printed textiles etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick