Treasures of Rajasthan on exhibit in Delhi
New Delhi: Traditional arts and crafts of Rajasthan as well as heritage properties and travel destinations of the desert state is on showcase in a two day exhibition that begins here today.
An initiative of Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum Trust (MSMS II) "Treasures of Rajasthan" is a collaboration with the Embassy of Egypt, which is hosting the event in its premises here.
"We have a goal of promoting tourism through this exhibition but the major idea behind it is to bring the languishing art forms like theva, thikri and lac work to the forefront so that people know about them," Princess Diya Kumari of Jaipur said.
The Princess says she is positioning this platform as an apt showcase to various forts and havelis that dot Rajasthan, presenting it before domestic travellers, who account for 80 per cent of tourism in India, as well as before diplomats.
"It has been our family tradition to promote arts and crafts, which started way back in 18th century by Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II who had then set up 36 karkhanas or state patronised ateliers of different crafts" she says.
The ambassador of Egypt to India, H E Khaled El Baky says, "History, culture, civilisation is something which Egypt can never say no to and who can be the best counterpart than India. There is tremendous scope of cooperation between the two countries and with this exhibition we look forward to exploring it."
The exhibition will showcase a wide array of products including marble, miniature paintings, blue pottery, furniture, carpets, gems, rugs, and jewellery, block printed textiles etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir