Won`t allow high-rises in Delhi as long as I`m alive: Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday continued to oppose Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath`s push for vertical growth in the city, saying she won`t allow construction of high-rise buildings as long as she is "alive".
She has been opposing vertical expansion arguing that it will put additional stress on existing resources and infrastructure in the city besides severely impacting the ecology.
"I agree with you that eventually perhaps Delhi will need high-rise buildings. But it will not be allowed as long as I am alive," she told a function organised by industry chamber Assocham.
Earlier, a number of speakers had underlined the need for allowing vertical growth of the city.
The Union Urban Development Minister has been strongly pitching for allowing high-rise buildings in Delhi to accommodate the growing population.
As per existing norms height of a building in residential areas cannot go beyond 15 m.
The Urban Development Ministry is currently in the process of reviewing the Master Plan of Delhi 2021 and is expected to finalise a number of amendments soon like allowing high-rises and increasing the existing floor area ratio (FAR). FAR is the ratio of the total floor area of a building to the plot area.
Earlier this month, Delhi`s Urban Development Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely had supported Nath`s push for vertical expansion but demanded adequate central funds for enhancing existing infrastructure if such a policy is finalised.
"We absolutely have no problem with vertical expansion of Delhi. But when approval is given to high-rises, then we will have to strengthen existing infrastructure like sewage network, water distribution system and power transmission. The Centre will have to provide Delhi government funds for enhancing the infrastructure," Lovely had said.
In her address, Dikshit also spoke about flash floods in Uttarakhand and blamed "unregulated constructions" for the disaster.
"What had happened in Uttarakhand is really tragic. It was a man-made disaster. Let us assume, the cloud burst had taken place because of god. But still it is a man made disaster as construction activities had been going on without any logic, without looking into safety issues," she said.
Underlining the need for protecting the eco-system in Delhi, Dikshit exhorted people to plant saplings to extend the green cover further.
"We started the plantation drive when we came to power in 1999. We saw the Rajasthan desert coming towards Delhi. If we had not carried out the plantation drive, probably the sands in Rajasthan deserts would have come here," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India