24 dead migratory birds seized from Chilika lake
Berhampur, Orissa: Forest guards seized 24 dead migratory birds from two poachers at Bhusandapur area under Chilika lake jurisdiction, forest department said on Friday.
The two poachers, however, managed to escape from the spot assaulting the guards yesterday, Divisional Forest Officer, Chilika Wildlife, B P Acharya said.
"We have identified the poachers and they will be caught very soon, the DFO said.
This was the fourth such incident in the last ten days in the lagoon.
About one lakh migratory birds of different species have descended on the lake so far while a majority of them are congregated in the 16.59 sq km bird sanctuary area inside the lake, forest department sources said.
The winged visitors mostly come from the region beyond the Himalayas in the Northern Eurasia, Caspian region, Siberia, Kazakhstan, Lake Baikal and the remote areas of Russia and neighboring countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...