24 dead migratory birds seized from Chilika lake
Berhampur, Orissa: Forest guards seized 24 dead migratory birds from two poachers at Bhusandapur area under Chilika lake jurisdiction, forest department said on Friday.
The two poachers, however, managed to escape from the spot assaulting the guards yesterday, Divisional Forest Officer, Chilika Wildlife, B P Acharya said.
"We have identified the poachers and they will be caught very soon, the DFO said.
This was the fourth such incident in the last ten days in the lagoon.
About one lakh migratory birds of different species have descended on the lake so far while a majority of them are congregated in the 16.59 sq km bird sanctuary area inside the lake, forest department sources said.
The winged visitors mostly come from the region beyond the Himalayas in the Northern Eurasia, Caspian region, Siberia, Kazakhstan, Lake Baikal and the remote areas of Russia and neighboring countries.
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why