24 dead migratory birds seized from Chilika lake
Berhampur, Orissa: Forest guards seized 24 dead migratory birds from two poachers at Bhusandapur area under Chilika lake jurisdiction, forest department said on Friday.
The two poachers, however, managed to escape from the spot assaulting the guards yesterday, Divisional Forest Officer, Chilika Wildlife, B P Acharya said.
"We have identified the poachers and they will be caught very soon, the DFO said.
This was the fourth such incident in the last ten days in the lagoon.
About one lakh migratory birds of different species have descended on the lake so far while a majority of them are congregated in the 16.59 sq km bird sanctuary area inside the lake, forest department sources said.
The winged visitors mostly come from the region beyond the Himalayas in the Northern Eurasia, Caspian region, Siberia, Kazakhstan, Lake Baikal and the remote areas of Russia and neighboring countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted