‘315bn pounds of plastic in oceans right now’
Washington: An ocean conservationist has claimed that there is approximately 315 billion pounds of plastic in the oceans as of today.
Stiv Wilson of the ocean conservation group 5 Gyres has made the first attempt to tally how much plastic is in the global ocean.
According to him, if one visualizes a ‘super tanker’ that could skim plastic 500 million at a time, one would need 630 of them to do the job, or about 17 percent of the planet`s current fleet of oil tankers.
To put it another way, every American produces about 600 pounds of garbage each year.
"What I really fear is a barge full of plastic coming in under the Golden Gate bridge, the media taking pictures and people thinking oh good, we`ve solved that problem,” Discovery News quoted Wilson as saying.
"I really want to see people`s efforts focused on beach cleanups," he said.
"They`re free, can be organized in a grassroots way, and they can make a massive difference. A hundred people on a beach picking up plastic for a weekend can clean up as much as a barge can hold," Wilson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government
- Coalition warplanes pummel Islamic State in Syria bastion