‘315bn pounds of plastic in oceans right now’
Washington: An ocean conservationist has claimed that there is approximately 315 billion pounds of plastic in the oceans as of today.
Stiv Wilson of the ocean conservation group 5 Gyres has made the first attempt to tally how much plastic is in the global ocean.
According to him, if one visualizes a ‘super tanker’ that could skim plastic 500 million at a time, one would need 630 of them to do the job, or about 17 percent of the planet`s current fleet of oil tankers.
To put it another way, every American produces about 600 pounds of garbage each year.
"What I really fear is a barge full of plastic coming in under the Golden Gate bridge, the media taking pictures and people thinking oh good, we`ve solved that problem,” Discovery News quoted Wilson as saying.
"I really want to see people`s efforts focused on beach cleanups," he said.
"They`re free, can be organized in a grassroots way, and they can make a massive difference. A hundred people on a beach picking up plastic for a weekend can clean up as much as a barge can hold," Wilson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information