9 zoos issued show cause notices: Javadekar
New Delhi: There are nine zoos to which the Central Zoo Authority has issued show cause notices for not complying with guidelines developed by the Central Zoo Authority for scientific management of zoos, the government today said.
In a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha, Minister for Environment and Forests Prakash Javadekar said there are 192 recognised zoos (inclusive of 22 circuses) in the country.
He said the Central Zoo Authority has developed guidelines for scientific management of zoos, which include conservation and protection of animals in zoos.
"There are nine zoos who are not complying with the said guidelines," Javadekar said.
"The Central Zoo Authority had issued show cause notices to all the zoos as to why recognition granted to the zoo should not be cancelled. The recognition to the Bikaner Zoo in Rajasthan has been cancelled under section 38 H of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972 on June 19, 2014 with provision of appeal before the appellate authority," Javadekar added.
As per details provided by Javadekar, the zoos which have been issued show cause notice by the Central Zoo Authority are - A N Jha Deer Park, Hauz Khas (New Delhi), Bijni Deer Park (Bongaigaon), Deer Park at Shri Kshetra Sogal, Soudatti (Belgaun), Deer Park, Berhampur Unit (Berhampur), Deer Park, Bir Moti Bagh (Patiala), Deer Park, Neelon (Ludhiana), Deer Park, Shri Goverdhan Trust (Udaipur), Hill Palace Zoo, Ernakulam and Sri Lok Nayak Jaya Prakash Narayan Smrity Van Deer Park (Walayar).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed