Cabinet approves setting up of institute for solar research
New Delhi: Seeking to accelerate the process of inducting latest green technologies, the Central government today approved setting up of an autonomous institute to carry out research and development in the field of solar energy.
In accordance with the decision, the gurgaon-based Solar Energy Centre (SEC) will be converted into National Institute of Solar Energy, with a long term vision to develop it as a world-class institute, an official statement said here.
"The Cabinet today approved the proposal for setting up the National Institute of Solar Energy to assist the Ministry on New and Renewable Energy, and function as the apex national centre for research and technology development and related activities in the area," it said.
The institute has been set up as part of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission approved by the centre in November 2009.
The move will accelerate the process to support induction of the latest technologies to ensure maximum cost benefit and lead to early commercialisation.
Solar power project developers will be motivated to use more efficient and optimised solar components, it said.
A broad-based national team in the form of a committee will be set up with representation from industry, the scientific community and financial institutions to look into various models available in the country and outside and prepare a roadmap for the institute, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!