Cabinet approves setting up of institute for solar research
New Delhi: Seeking to accelerate the process of inducting latest green technologies, the Central government today approved setting up of an autonomous institute to carry out research and development in the field of solar energy.
In accordance with the decision, the gurgaon-based Solar Energy Centre (SEC) will be converted into National Institute of Solar Energy, with a long term vision to develop it as a world-class institute, an official statement said here.
"The Cabinet today approved the proposal for setting up the National Institute of Solar Energy to assist the Ministry on New and Renewable Energy, and function as the apex national centre for research and technology development and related activities in the area," it said.
The institute has been set up as part of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission approved by the centre in November 2009.
The move will accelerate the process to support induction of the latest technologies to ensure maximum cost benefit and lead to early commercialisation.
Solar power project developers will be motivated to use more efficient and optimised solar components, it said.
A broad-based national team in the form of a committee will be set up with representation from industry, the scientific community and financial institutions to look into various models available in the country and outside and prepare a roadmap for the institute, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof