Chinese man raises 6,000 crocodiles
Beijing: A farmer and entrepreneur in China has built the largest private crocodile farm in the country that raises around 6,100 crocodiles.
Yao Shaojun, from Funing city in Jiangsu province, started raising crocodiles in 2004.
He specialises in Siamese crocodiles and recently bought 36 from Thailand, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
Siamese crocodiles live in tropical weather, and Yao uses a solar-powered green house in winter as well as artificial auxiliary heating to help the crocodiles overcome the difference in temperature.
The biggest crocodile in Yao`s farm weights 350 kg.
The news comes as a positive development after 3,600 smuggled Siamese crocodiles were recently saved by police from being served as exotic dishes in Guangxi Zhuang region.
The crocodiles were seized from smugglers trucks while crossing the China-Vietnam border.
Siamese crocodiles are a critically endangered species native to most Southeast Asian countries. Their meat is served as a delicacy in some southern Chinese cities, according to animal rights activists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged