Common toads `can detect earthquakes in advance`
London: Believe it or not, common toads
can detect quakes up to five days in advance, say scientists.
For centuries, animals, from dogs to rats, snakes and
chickens, are said to have behaved strangely before a quake --
but their impulses have never been scientifically established.
Now, a team at The Open University has found that the
toads are able to predict imminent earthquakes, after studying
a population of common toads outside L`Aquila in central Italy
before last year`s tremors hit.
They noticed that even though it was the creature`s
important breeding season, nearly 96 per cent of male toads
abandoned the area five days before the earthquake struck in
April, `The Daily Telegraph` reported.
The number of paired toads at the breeding site also
dropped to zero three days before the earthquake. No fresh
spawn was found at the site from the date that the earthquake
struck to the date of the last significant aftershock.
Breeding sites are male-dominated and the toads would
normally remain in situ from the point that breeding activity
begins, to the completion of spawning, the scientists say.
Lead author Dr Rachel Grant said: "Our study is one
of the first to document animal behaviour before, during and
after an earthquake.
"Our findings suggest that toads are able to detect
pre-seismic cues such as the release of gases and charged
particles, and use these as a form of earthquake early warning
It is believed that just before an earthquake radon
gas and gravity waves are released from the earth which are
then reflected back by the atmosphere and detected by toads,
according to the scientists.
The findings have been published in the `Journal of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!