Elephant escorts, special teams fail to save injured rhino
Lakhimpur Kheri: Elephant escorts stood guard and special teams monitored his wounds but the injuries inflicted by other rhinos during a fight proved too much for a 11-year-old rhino that died in Salukapur area here.
The rhino, Sahdev, was found roaming with two other male rhinos Bheem and Nakul by the monitoring teams in Salukapur near Rhino Rehabilitation Area (RRA).
"However, things went wrong when on January 24, Sahdev was spotted with injuries on its private parts with blood oozing out from them", Deputy Director, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, VK Singh said today.
Special teams were deployed to take care of his wound and elephants were pressed into service to keep away big carnivores from causing any further injuries to the rhino which later died, Singh said.
A team of veterinary doctors comprising three from WWF carried out the autopsy, which found nine injuries on the body.
Deep injury marks were detected on the private parts, which indicated intense infighting among the rhinos, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets