Elephant escorts, special teams fail to save injured rhino
Lakhimpur Kheri: Elephant escorts stood guard and special teams monitored his wounds but the injuries inflicted by other rhinos during a fight proved too much for a 11-year-old rhino that died in Salukapur area here.
The rhino, Sahdev, was found roaming with two other male rhinos Bheem and Nakul by the monitoring teams in Salukapur near Rhino Rehabilitation Area (RRA).
"However, things went wrong when on January 24, Sahdev was spotted with injuries on its private parts with blood oozing out from them", Deputy Director, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, VK Singh said today.
Special teams were deployed to take care of his wound and elephants were pressed into service to keep away big carnivores from causing any further injuries to the rhino which later died, Singh said.
A team of veterinary doctors comprising three from WWF carried out the autopsy, which found nine injuries on the body.
Deep injury marks were detected on the private parts, which indicated intense infighting among the rhinos, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed