Elephant escorts, special teams fail to save injured rhino
Lakhimpur Kheri: Elephant escorts stood guard and special teams monitored his wounds but the injuries inflicted by other rhinos during a fight proved too much for a 11-year-old rhino that died in Salukapur area here.
The rhino, Sahdev, was found roaming with two other male rhinos Bheem and Nakul by the monitoring teams in Salukapur near Rhino Rehabilitation Area (RRA).
"However, things went wrong when on January 24, Sahdev was spotted with injuries on its private parts with blood oozing out from them", Deputy Director, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, VK Singh said today.
Special teams were deployed to take care of his wound and elephants were pressed into service to keep away big carnivores from causing any further injuries to the rhino which later died, Singh said.
A team of veterinary doctors comprising three from WWF carried out the autopsy, which found nine injuries on the body.
Deep injury marks were detected on the private parts, which indicated intense infighting among the rhinos, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Up close and personal – Get to know Sonam Kapoor better: Here's how
- Windows 10 gets new Facebook, Messenger apps
- Digvijay Singh's youngest daughter succumbs to cancer
- World Bank is looking ways to use Aadhar experience'
- This young maid wanted to do anything to 'please' her boss: Watch video to know what happened