Giant baby panda dies of pneumonia at Japan zoo
Tokyo: A giant baby panda, the first ever to be born at Japan`s oldest zoo in 24 years through natural breeding, died today of pneumonia.
The panda cub born last week at Tokyo`s Ueno Zoo died just a week after its birth sparked excitement across Japan.
The birth was hailed as a rare success for Japan`s captive breeding programme.
The male cub was found by zoo staff lying on his back on his mother Shin Shin`s stomach this morning, with his heart and lungs not moving, Kyodo news reported.
Resuscitation was attempted but unsuccessfully, Tokyo metropolitan government said, and his death was confirmed at 8:30 am (2330 GMT).
Shin Shin and her mate Ri Ri were leased from China last year to the zoo operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan government at an annual cost of about one million dollars.
The baby was hailed in China, which has sometimes hostile relations with neighbouring Japan.
"The giant pandas are messengers of friendship," a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said in response to news of the birth last week.
"We hope that people-to-people sentiment and overall relations between China and Japan can be promoted because of the birth of the cub."
China is famed for its "panda diplomacy", using the bears as diplomatic gifts to other countries. About 1,600 remain in the wild in China, with some 300 others in captivity worldwide -- mostly in China.
As many as 16 giant pandas have been born in Japan, according to reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan