Half million litres of oil spill in Manila Bay
Manila: Half a million litres of diesel leaked into Manila Bay, the busiest waterway in Northern Philippines, raising environmental and health concerns, the media reported Friday.
According to the Philippine Coast Guard, the spilled oil has spread to 12 coastal barangays in the province of Cavite and was continuing to spread, reports Xinhua.
"There have been reports of people going to hospital due to difficulty in breathing due to the fumes coming from the oil, " a local official said.
The origin of the incident was being determined by the authorities but it is alleged that the oil leaked from oil tanker MV Makisig, which is commissioned by oil giant Petron.
A 300-sq-km slick made by the leaked oil was drifting toward the mouth of the Manila Bay Friday, reported the web site of Philippine Daily Inquirer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town