Industrial civilisation could be headed for `irreversible collapse`: NASA-funded study
Washington: Researchers have highlighted the prospect that global industrial civilisation could collapse in near future because of unsustainable resource exploitation and increasingly unequal wealth distribution.
Led by applied mathematician Safa Motesharri of the US National Science Foundation-supported National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center, in association with a team of natural and social scientists found that according to the historical record even advanced, complex civilisations collapsed, which has raised questions about the sustainability of modern civilization.
By investigating the human-nature dynamics of the past cases of collapse, the HANDY project identified the salient interrelated factors that explain civilisational decline, and which could help determine the risk of collapse: Population, Climate, Water, Agriculture and Energy.
These factors could help in the collapse of global industrial civilisation when they converge to generate two crucial social features: "the stretching of resources due to the strain placed on the ecological carrying capacity"; and "the economic stratification of society into Elites [rich] and Masses (or "Commoners") [poor]"
These social phenomena have played a crucial role in the process of the collapse of a civilization in all such cases over the past five thousand years.
The study has been published in the Elsevier journal, Ecological Economics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'